Thursday, June 14, 2007

Friendship, Friendship, such a perfect blendship...

Shalom, all!

Just got back from a really yummy dinner with my friend, Sarene, and her fiance, Andy. It was my first chance to meet him (and I totally approve). I am glad that she found such a sweet guy who will definitely take good care of her (and she of him!). Coincidentally, I just took an online survey, and one of the questions was, "How many of your current friends have you known longer than ten years?"

What a question. Considering that parts of me still feel 12 years old, it is a profoundly paralyzing question to ponder (ah, an alliteration addiction attacks again). I can't believe that I have people (family members naturally excluded) in my life who have been precious to me for over a decade. Jessica is, of course, my longest friendship - we are probably over 20 years at this point. Lauren is also a long-term friendship, and, thanks to MySpace, Friendster, Facebook and the like, I am rekindling friendships from the whole spectrum of my life.

And, lest I be tempted to think of Sarene as one of my "newer" friends, I must remember that I met her in 1995 (we were both Angels in a Hillel production of Anything Goes). She has been a friend for - can it be true? - twelve years!!

Well, here's to long friendships, and many more to come.

3 comments:

Jojo a. said...

Wow, never really thought of it like that... as in I'm not really sure if I've nurtured a friendship enough for it to cross the decade arrival board.

It takes much more than just laughter and good times... it's a whole process. Interesting isn't it.

Jessica said...

20+ years. At some point, we became not only friends, but family. Can't wait for you to come visit! :)

Shan said...

I have a few friends I hav eknown since high school but very few that have lasted beyond ten years (maybe 2). My brother has a friend who he has known since kindergarten--how is that for a long lasting friendship? I am secretly envious.