Thursday, May 15, 2008

Bloggers Unite for Human Rights!

Today is a special day - blogs around the world have the opportunity to unite for human rights, and to write on something that they find important.

I had an incredible opportunity to participate in a gathering in Central Park last week - it was organized by Rabbis for Human Rights - North America, an organization of which I am a part. We gathered on Yom Ha'atzmaut, Israel Independence Day. There were 60 rabbis, cantors, and rabbinical students there - one for each year of Israel's existence. We sang together, we prayed, and we spoke about human rights. The rabbis who led the event discussed the importance of Israel's right to exist, as well as the right of the Palestinians to safety, security, and peace.

In honor of this blogging event (as I pause from my scarlet fever haze), I would like to share a reading that we all recited at the event. It was inspiring, hopeful, and comforting:

Don't be afraid of sudden terror,
Nor of the calamity that comes to the wicked.
"Devise your evil plots -- they will fail!
Lay out your wicked plans -- they are doomed!
God is with us!"

Even to your old age, I am the same;
When you are grey-headed, still I will sustain you!
I have made you, and I will bear you;
I will sustain you, and I will save you!

(Proverbs 3:25, Isaiah 8:10, 46:4)

Rabbis for Human Rights - North America, was even featured on the Op-Ed page of the New York Times!!

If you are blogging for human rights today, let me know! I will include a link to your site in this post!!


Ima on (and off) the Bima has lots of suggestions for ways to make the world a better place!!

2 comments:

Phyllis Sommer said...

wow - that sounds awesome. new york must be such a cool place to live and work!!!! wish i could have been there too. (does this mean you're feeling better too?)

Cat said...

Good job, I guess I don't need to tell you about...

http://shomershalom.org/