Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Speaking a Different Language

I remember, a few years ago at a CCAR convention, hearing Rabbi Lawrence Hoffman speak. He was a professor of mine while in rabbinical school, and he is just a brilliant, wonderful person. Rabbi Hoffman has had a really challenging homelife for many years. His delightful daughter became quite ill a few years ago, and it has been, from what we were able to see, an immense struggle to keep her healthy and keep searching for answers.

Well, anyway, in this lecture he gave at the convention, he spoke about the language of illness. He said that those who are in pain, who are suffering, or who are ill, speak a completely different language from those who are healthy. It is like being from a foreign country, and there is a total communication breakdown. When you are in pain, only those who have experienced that level of suffering can really hear you and understand you.

That is where I am today. I am really feeling like it is hard to speak to those who don't understand what I am going through. I don't want advice, I don't want someone to tell me what to do. I just want someone to listen. I just want to acknowledge my pain, honor it, and have it validated.

I am seriously considering going home for the next few days. I need some parental TLC, and I need someone to take over the reins and take care of me for a little while.

This totally sucks.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

oh squishala. i'm so sorry. i just want you to feel better, and I'm always here to listen. hugs!