Wednesday, April 9, 2008

NYC Subway, how do I love thee?

A quick post "from the road." I took my first ride, post-surgery, on the subway today. Now, you may laugh, but it was actually a very exciting accomplishment!

I haven't been in the subway for months - even before my surgery, I had to stop travelling by subway due to the walking and all of the stairways. The few times I did take the subway, I stuck to stations that had obvious handicapped-accessible accommodations (elevators, escalators, etc.). I was walking with a cane for months leading up to the operation, and getting around town was only possible by (very expensive) cab.

But, today, I had to get from the synagogue to a Midtown Torah study location. At lunchtime in NYC, public transportation, especially underground, is your best choice. So, after some deliberation, I decided that today was the day to return underground.

And I did it! All the walking, all the stairs, having to stand on the train - it was FINE! I wasn't even sore!

Wow!

What accomplishments, big or small, are you currently proud of?
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

5 comments:

SMLP said...

Mazel Tov! What an accomplishment!

Phyllis Sommer said...

hooray! mazel tov. i'm so happy for you. my own accomplishment? the women's seder that i ran on tuesday was a huge success...

Sandy Kessler said...

I sing with your new jovial pain free outlook ..sk

Jennifer said...

I'm much too busy being happy for you to come up with any pride for me.

Good for you, Marci! Good for you!

BipolarLawyerCook said...

That's just sooo great. Makes it worth it, I hope!