Today is the ONE YEAR ANNIVERSARY since my spinal fusion surgery at the Hospital for Special Surgery in New York City.
I never thought I would ever get better, let alone have surgery, let alone recover so well from it. I was looking back at my blog post from the day before the surgery, and I see the fear and the hope that I felt.
On the left is an x-ray that I found online - it pretty much shows what I had done (though I think that mine was one level lower: L5-S1).
So, what's changed over the past year, since the surgery? Here's what I am celebrating:
- I never thought I would dance again, and I have now danced on many occasions - including a recent jaunt to Webster Hall (a dance club here in NYC). This was my BIGGEST WISH!
- I never thought I would be in the right frame of mind to lose weight, and I have lost more than 15 pounds so far.
- I never imagined that I would walk without a cane, and now I can even jog!
- I could no longer envision a life without chronic pain, and now I am 95% without pain of any kind!
- I didn't think I would be able to walk farther than 2 blocks without pain, and now I can walk at least 2 miles before I feel sore.
- I didn't think I would be able to stand for an entire Shabbat worship service (I learned to take many breaks), and now I can confidently stand the whole time!
- I thought I would have to have my groceries delivered from now on - but now, I can carry them up the stairs myself!!
- I figured that I would feel tired, depressed, and OLD from now on, but I finally feel young, vibrant, energetic, and ALIVE!!!
Thanks for celebrating with me - I couldn't have gotten through it all without your support and love. Here's to another good year!!