Sunday, June 15, 2008

Happy Father's Day, Dad!

Aren't my parents cute? I am so proud to be the daughter of such loving, caring, dedicated, and funny people. My dad still looks at my mom with a sparkle in his eyes and says to her, "You are such a cutie!"

As some of you know, my dad suffered a stroke last fall. It could have been much worse - he had no paralysis. However, the cognitive effects have been very difficult. For a guy who has always been so witty, so quick on his feet, ready with a pun for everything you say - the stroke has been hard to stomach. He gets very frustrated when thinking of a word or phrase becomes a massive endeavor. His energy level has been minimal, and the smallest activities exhaust him. He used to only be able to talk on the phone for two or three minutes at a time.

Luckily, he is now attending an intensive rehab program three days a week. Already, the changes are obvious. He is thinking more quickly, he is making jokes again, and he just, you know, "sounds like himself" again. He is able to speak on the phone for longer amounts of time, and those connections in his brain seem to be, well, working!

It is really scary to think that we may have lost him last September. I am doubly grateful - that he is still here, and that his unique personality has also returned.

Daddy, I love you, and I am filled with gratitude for every day that I get to speak with you and learn from you. Happy Father's Day!

6 comments:

Phyllis Sommer said...

what a sweet tribute to your dad. i'm so glad he's on the mend...

SMLP said...

That is such wonderful news! I'm so happy to hear :-)

Jennifer said...

A beautiful tribute. And he's right -- she is such a cutie!

Tina said...

ah you mom and dad look so sweet together.

Thanks for stopping by my place

Cooper said...

Great post...isn't good rehab a blessing??

Sandy Kessler said...

a lovely tribute. We must cherish every day . That interaction is so good for him sk