Well, folks, it is that time again! Heads Or Tails is a weekly meme done on Tuesdays hosted by Skittles. Anyone can play. In fact the more, the merrier! You can visit the Heads or Tails Home Page for more information on how you can join in!
This week's topic/prompt: ROYAL
So, I am so excited to tell you about one of the greatest QUEENS of rock, CYNDI LAUPER!!
She has put together one of the most incredible concert tours of all time, True Colors.
The concert tour, sponsored by the Human Rights Campaign, Logo Network, PFLAG, and many others, and has very important goals. According to the website,
The goal of gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender (GLBT) equality is at the heart of True Colors. From day one, the tour has sought to raise awareness about the discrimination the GLBT community still faces and raise significant funds for the organizations that work everyday on their behalf.
My sister and I attended this concert this past Sunday night, June 1, at the Jones Beach Theater here in New York. It was one of the most positive, wonderful, and celebratory events I have ever attended, nevermind the fact that some of my most favorite performers were there!! The show was hosted by "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy's" Carson Kressley, and the line-up was:
- Mary McBride
- Kat Deluna - who has a huge hit right now with her song, "Run the Show"
- The Cliks- who turned "Cry Me a River" into a rock anthem
- Indigo Girls - their voices have been such an enormous, enduring part of my life, ever since overnight camp campfires, and it was absolutely amazing to see them live (I first saw them live while I was in high school, and hadn't since then). They even sang two of my most favorite songs, "Galileo" and "Closer to Fine."
- Rosie O'Donnell - we expected stand-up comedy, but were instead treated to moving, beautiful lessons on life, family, and love. She spoke about her mother, who died when Rosie was young, and her children, who continue to teach her every day.
- The B-52s - they ROCK!! The band puts on such a good show, filled with so much energy and life. "Rock Lobster" will always make me smile.
- Cyndi Lauper - the QUEEN herself. She sang many of her most famous songs, but I was moved to speechlessness when she sang one of my all-time, most favorite songs, "I Drove All Night."
I see your true colors
and that's why I love you
so don't be afraid to let them show
your true colors
true colors are beautiful
like a rainbow
If you have a chance to see this tour, or to support any of its important sponsors, I strongly encourage you to do so. As long as there are any groups of people who are not considered equal, or do not have equal rights, then we must continue to strive for equality for all.